Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Industrial Chic

I have long been a fan of furniture with an industrial flair. I believe that my obsession with industrial details began, when I was much younger, with Tim Burton movies (think Edward Scissorhands). I love nailheads, metal rivets, oversized steel casters, pulleys and salvaged wood. There is something raw and historically preserved about these details. I've been noticing many of these elements emerging into the mainstream design industry. Many designers have been incorporating this look into their designs and furniture collections lately.

Most recently, I was pleasantly surprised when I received my new holiday 09 Restoration Hardware catalog. I just about jumped with joy to see their new look. They have joined the industrial bandwagon. Mixing these vintage pieces in a traditional or transitional environment is what I would term "industrial chic". This is also a really hip way to go green. Using salvaged materials and repurposing vintage furniture is one of the best ways to minimize your footprint when it comes to interior design.
Take a look at what Restoration Hardware has in store for us this season...

A vintage-inspired early 20th century French drafting table paired with a draftsman's industrial steel chair.

An early 1900's industrial furniture cart original, made and refurbished in the USA. No two of these tables are exactly alike. Perfect!


A reproduction 19th century pharmacy cabinet.

I recently purchased an antique wood barrister bookcase for only $20 that I found in an old furniture supply warehouse. I plan to paint it and use it much like the pharmacy cabinet above. I'll keep you posted on it's remodel when I get the time to tackle that project.

This desk is crafted from solid reclaimed elm doors.

Solid reclaimed elm door dining table with industrial cast iron bracing.

This island is manufactured from 100 year old pine timbers that were reclaimed from buildings in Great Britain. I'm loving the vintage barstools! They are a perfect reproduction.



Reclaimed wood bookshelf on iron casters.

This piece is especially dear to my heart. Printmaker's cabinets are a staple at any architectural firm. They generally house maps, prints, drafting plans and the like. Restoration Hardware's is actually a sideboard made to look like a vintage printmaker's cabinet. I, of course, can't overlook the cast-brass bin pulls, which are another personal favorite. I love it!
Here are some more pieces that are true antiques that I have found for sale online.





I'm a bit obsessed with this piece. I've been wanting a bar cart for a reeeeeally long time and this one is so cool, I can hardly stand it!


This antique card catalog would be delightful as a jewelry box! I would stash my scarves and such in those two bottom drawers and maybe line up my clutches in the overhead cabinets. Lovely!
Antique tool box.
Industrial steel task chair.
Wow! I love the cast iron gear base on this table married to the distressed wood top. This table would look so cool paired with Os Du Mouton chairs upholstered in burlap and adorned with large antique pewter nailheads.
Antique dentist's cabinet. This is another piece that I might just be a teency bit obsessed with.
The hostess station at the new Tavern LA restaurant. There are many industrial chic elements throughout the fabulous design of this hip new restaurant, you should click the link above and check it out.
Be on the look out for industrial inspired designs, I have a feeling that you are going to be seeing a lot more of them.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

great post!

Julie said...

where did you find the table with the cast iron gear base? I love it!
julie.hankins@yahoo.com

Designer said...

This has reminded me of Gfurn furniture and
their blog, great inspiration !